When I was a kid, my mom made cranberry bread all the time and I loved it!! Since it's cranberry season again, I made it a mission this year to recreate that recipe in a vegan way.
Vegan Cranberry BreadCan be sugar free and gluten free!
- 2 cups flour or gluten free flour blend (I use sprouted spelt, but I've used the arrowhead mills and Bob's Red Mill gluten free flour blends with success
- 1 cup stevia baking blend or other dry sweetener
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- egg replacement for one egg (I use 1 tbsp flax meal mixed with 3 tbsp water but Ener-G or any other egg replacer would work
- 1.5 cups of fresh cranberries, roughly chopped
Preheat the oven to 350f (177c). Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil or cooking spray. Chop the cranberries into little halves (this is the suckiest part of making cranberry bread so get it over with now). Prepare the flax egg in a small bowl by whisking one tablespoon of flax meal with 3 tablespoons of cold water and set aside (or you can use Ener-G egg replacer or a chia egg if you prefer). Set aside for 15 minutes or so. Meanwhile, assemble the dry ingredients (flour, dry sweetener, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, baking soda) in a bowl and stir until combined. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour the remaining ingredients except the cranberries. Once the batter is mixed, fold in the cranberries. If the mixture seems a bit dry, add a little more orange juice, but don't overdo it. Pour the cranberry bread batter into the greased loaf pan. Bake for 55 minutes or until a knife stuck into it comes out clean. This is how the gluten free one looked:
It tastes best warm out the oven, but it's also great cold OR you can heat it up. Enjoy!!!